Amman, Syria: On Saturday, six more children became victims of the never ending devastating Syrian war. UNICEF confirmed the deaths of these children, who were killed during attacks on three villages in Jabal Al-Zawiyah area, south of Idlib, Balshoun, Balyoun northwest of Syria.
These six children are adding up to the hundreds and thousands of children who died a useless death during the last ten years in Syria. Two of the child victims are believed to be children of humanitarian workers and others were siblings of a Syrian family, killed in their sleep.
Ted Chaiban, UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa said, “This is just tragic. These attacks are the worst since a ceasefire was brokered in March last year. An escalation of violence will only result in cutting short the lives of more children. We call for the protection of all children and strongly urge those fighting to refrain from further attacks.”
During the last one year 512 children have lost their lives during the ongoing fights in Syria, the majority from them were from the northwest, which is home to 1.7 million vulnerable children. Many children fled violence attacks with their families.
Ted Chaiban said, “The only way out of the war in Syria is through diplomatic means. Violence and more attacks will push the country even further towards the brink and will riddle the way towards peace and a better future for millions of children in the country.”